Your Reviewer

Your Reviewer
Lori Lavender Luz

& guest reviewers

Stuff We've Reviewed

Previously on All Thumbs

Looking for something?

Thursday, October 16, 2008

WhoData? YouData.

These days it's all I, My, and You. As in pod, space, and tube. The latest in the Pronoun/ProperNouns is... =======>

Heard of it? So far, I've made more than $11 through YouData, in about 17 minutes spread over 3 sessions. Because these days, it's all about the eyeballs. And apparently, mine are for rent.

I'm so easy.

Finally, I am getting paid for something I've been giving away for free. Something YOU also have, that others find valuable: our attention. I pay attention, and now I sell attention, too.

Here's how it works.

  • You go to YouData.com. You hope that you do so at a time when the system can handle the demand. If not, you keep checking back.
  • You set up an account. You give your gender and birth date to start. You will also need to provide an email address and a cell phone number to receive activation codes.
  • VoilĂ ! You have a MeFile on YouData. (Pronoun/ProperNoun alert!)
Then,
  • You fill in your MeFile with more info about you like your zip code, marital status, employment status, education level, income level, activities, pets, etc. For each, you are given the option not to disclose. The more information you provide about yourself, the more targeted your ads will be.
  • For now, you must have a PayPal account to collect your funds each payday (which is every Friday).
  • YouData then searches for advertisers willing to pay for your attention. You get up to five offers worth about 20 cents apiece. You tell it to Reveal Ads.
  • You Jump to Collect and a webpage opens up for each advertiser. You hear a little ka-ching each time you do.
  • You Reload again and again until YouData runs out of advertisers interested in YourType. (Ha! I just made up my own Pronoun/Proper noun.)
  • And you check back in a few days for more.

While researching this post, I just earned $1.01 for clicking on Beauty.com, GE Appliances, , SoyJoy, CleanWell, and Klondike Bars (I'm singing: "what would I do for a buck-fifty?"). I've also seen sites for children's clothing, furniture, and other blogs. Some I can breeze through, and some I actually shop.

In fact, I found a product I'd never heard about last week, and I bought a little experiment. The plan is to have something to review for you next week. So make sure to check back.

My thumbs are up for YouData. For once I am an early adopter. And $11 richer. Hey -- that's a pitcher of mojitos!

***

Want easy access to products recommended by Lori and Chicklet? Help support us by visiting the All Thumbs Amazon Store, which has no added markup. Just easy shopping, good prices, Amazon security and thumbs up ratings.

14 chiming in:

Unknown said...

Signing up wehn I get back from picking up DH at the hospital. Better check the status of my Paypal acount.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely try it.

Unknown said...

signed up. but i can't find jump to ads. HELP

Anonymous said...

Lori, Did you sign up as a Consumer or a Blogger? Just curious...

Lollipop Goldstein said...

That is a really cool idea.

Hmmm...I wonder if anyone would be willing to give attention for UTERUS? May I suggest it tomorrow?

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Cathy -- let's email or gchat.

CP -- as a Consumer. I will look into the blogger thing, too. I'll report what I find out.

Mel -- YES!

Unknown said...

Got it figured out. I made over 4.00 in about 10 minutes last night. I book marked a couple sites I wanted to go back and really check out.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Cathy -- Yay!! I'm so glad it's working for you. I've found some cool things, too. Even some post-worthy products.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori! Thanks for the excellent instruction on description of YouData. We may have to use some of that on our own site! :-) We are excited to have you help us fix advertising!

-Trae

Anonymous said...

No personally identifiable information is given out, except, oh, maybe, I don't know, your PAYPAL ACCOUNT? And a complete profile on yourself. Privacy be hanged, I'm gettin' me eleven dollars! That's certainly worth getting that big database in the sky all caught up with your current—and accurate— information.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Anon -- you bring up valid points about sharing personal information.

Often, this information is collected without our permission, and without compensation.

With this model, I have given the former and receive the latter.

And as for PayPal, the only information required to DEPOSIT funds into my account is my email address.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Joanne said...

You Data is fine except for the paucity of ads.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Joanne: I agree.

YouData said...

youdata has alot of potential if they can get more advertisers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails