Your Reviewer

Your Reviewer
Lori Lavender Luz

& guest reviewers

Stuff We've Reviewed

Previously on All Thumbs

Looking for something?

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving and threading

First, Thanksgiving. Not a review; just a little limerick.
A chesty young turkey name Terry
Gets nervous in November -- very.
He came up with a plan
To steer clear of The Man
And keep his distance from yams and cranberry
Can you come up with a Thanksgiving ditty? Post in a comment below. You know you have nothing else to do except dishes.

My manifold blessings include you, our readers known and unknown, and the chance to work here with the absolutely wonderful Chicklet.

I am truly blessed. Mwaaaaaah!

===============================

Now for the threading.

How did I not know about this?

Do you?

I mean, I knew about this method of depilation for legs. But it took Martha to introduce me to threading for eyebrows.

I've never had my brows waxed or plucked. I've always been au naturel. But lately I've been wondering how it would look to have more shapely brows. Of all the women I know IRL, I think I am the only with with unshaped brows.

So immediately after I watched this video (which I lifted form Martha) I go.ogled "threading eyebrows MyTown" and found a salon about a mile away from me. I set up an appointment for right after lunch.


I had Reed with me, which made me nervous because I'd have 15 minutes tops before the whining would commence.

We were greeted at the salon by Promila the Esthetician, who guided us to a private room. She invited me to lie on a massage table.

(Reed sat on a nearby chair and played with his Star Wars figurines. God bless George Lucas.)

Promila told me that she was an expert at the ancient Indian* art of threading, and that I was really lucky to find a genuine Indian to do my brows. She said she's an artist and that she can make the best shape for me, or I could pick a set of celebrity brows for her to emulate. I said, "I am your canvas."

She got going right away, gently yanking entire rows of my brow in graceful fluttery motions. There was a little discomfort, but not pain. Within about 6 minutes, she was finished with one brow and went on to the other. Six more minutes, a little finishing at my temples and in the unibrow area, and I was fully plucked.

She brought an icy yet slippery ball and massaged my eye area, then slathered on some cream and told me I have very sensitive skin. This was code, I discovered after she handed me a mirror, for "You look like one of these."

But the red went away within minutes and Reed and I headed to the front desk to pay (before the whining!). Twenty dollars for the procedure, more than I was expecting and, according to my research, a little more than similar salons charge for eyebrow waxing. You can decide if it's worth it to have to have less pain (I suspect) and to be able to get in and out more quickly than with a wax job.**

Promila sent me off with a gift bag of Aveda hand creme, a stack of her cards, Aveda hairspray, a $20 off all service coupon (score!) and a menu of services and prices.

I don't think I look all that different.

If you're interested in trying out threading for yourself, just go.ogle "eyebrow threading YourCity" and see if you, too, can find a genuine Indian threader.

And if you live in Denver and want to visit Promila, I'd be glad to give you her contact information.

* as in the country of a billion people. Not to be confused with the people who helped keep the pilgrims from starving all those centuries ago.

** not to be confused with a whack job.

***

Want easy access to products recommended by Lori and Chicklet? Help support us by visiting the All Thumbs Amazon Store, which has no added markup. Just easy shopping, good prices, Amazon security and thumbs up ratings.

9 chiming in:

MrsSpock said...

I know Martha had this done with great results. Luckily, my brows tend to look fine without any real plucking needed.

Denise said...

Did you take before and after pictures?

I've only had my brows waxed once and I swear I couldn't tell the difference. They looked exactly the same.

chicklet said...

I'm with Denise - where's the pics lady?

Anonymous said...

I've heard of threading, but I love my aesthetician too much to try it. (I get my brows waxed every 4 or 5 weeks...they get pretty bushy pretty quickly.)

Claire goes with me when I get my brows waxed, and she has the whole procedure memorized. Thankfully, I'm in and out in about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, I'm REALLY red for the rest of the day! So, I have to plan accordingly with my errands for fear of startling any random store clerks. :)

I should try threading one of these days just to compare!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Denise -- I didn't take a before. I should have!

CP -- I'll try waxing (ow?) and you try threading and we'll compare notes.

Abc said...

I've seen it done in the mall, but thankfully I have really light eyebrows and don't have to worry about it.

luna said...

this is fascinating! I also want to see a pic.

Linda said...

i got my eyebrows threaded in the mall last Christmas. There was no icing or massage afterwards so I looked really red and the aesthetician got rather more of my brows than she should have so they were pencil-thin. You def. have to get someone who knows what they are doing.

That being said, it doesn't hurt and it IS quick!

chloebear said...

Happy Thanksgiving! My sister who is in New York told me about threading a few months ago. One benefit I have heard of is that there is less pulling of the skin as opposed to waxing which pulls the skin as you remove the wax/hair, therfore resulting in less wrinkles. For the amount of times I have my brows waxed (once a month), I don't think I'm creating tons of wrinkles in the process. I don't know if I buy that arguement, but at least it costs about the same as waxing. Either way I like the results: shapely brows.

Related Posts with Thumbnails