Your Reviewer

Your Reviewer
Lori Lavender Luz

& guest reviewers

Stuff We've Reviewed

Previously on All Thumbs

Looking for something?

Thursday, May 15, 2008

The last time I shaved my legs...

...was 7 months ago.

But my legs are smoother than they've ever been. You want proof? Rob hasn't worn protective leggings to bed the way he did every other night last summer.

I reallllllly hate shaving. It's a lot of work for legs that stay smooth a whole five-and-a-half hours. I was ready to give up my razor, the occasional painful nick, and the extra water and time consumed by bi-daily shavings. I was NOT, however, willing to spend a fortune or endure pain.

On the recommendation of a Style Matters column in my local newspaper, I set out to find a Braun epilator. I looked at my usual places: Target, Costco, and Walgreens. I couldn't find the $49.99 model suggested.

I also tried braun.com. Apparently you can't buy direct from there, so I ended up at Ulta. There I got the last Braun Silk Epil Xelle on the shelf for $70. (But since then I found a better price -- less than $59 through Amazon, if you can wait for delivery.)

Ouch! I thought. Pain in the purse. But then I remembered what my Venus blades were costing. I'd be ahead of the game in less than 2 dozen blades.

I gave it a go after my next shower (clean, dry skin is required). And I did what Style Matters suggested for the pain: I took ibu.profen 20 minutes beforehand.

The epilator, which looks a lot like an electric shaver, has two speeds and two heads, for four different sensitivity levels. I chose the lowest setting but quickly moved up because -- surprise! -- there was very little pain. And I, my friends, am a wuss.

I now power-pluck about once a week, and my legs stay pretty smooth in between treatments because only about a third of the follicles are active at any one time. And the re-growth isn't prickly like with shaving, because the top ends of the hairs hasn't been sheared.

My hope is that if I keep yanking the hairs out at the roots, that they will just get tired of replenishing. Wouldn't you? Is it my imagination, or is the forest hair on my leg a lot sparser now?

Going back to the low speed and the higher head, last week I ventured into bikini-land. And by that, I do mean the area not covered by a bikini. Well, a bikini I would wear, anyway.

A little sensitive, I must admit. Next time, I'll pop the Ad.vil ahead of time. Then I'll try again to pluck those suckers.

My only beef? The head is pretty slender, about 1.5 inches across. That means that each stroke cuts a small swath and that the regimen -- both legs top and bottom -- takes me about 15 minutes.

Hmmmmm. 15 minutes a week versus 15 minutes every other day. And smoother legs as a bonus.

I love my Braun epilator.

Two thumbs up.

***

Want easy access to products recommended by Lori and Chicklet? Help support us by visiting the All Thumbs Store, which has no added markup. Just easy shopping, good prices, and thumbs up ratings.

10 chiming in:

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Oooh, you have me intrigued. Does it work best if the hair is of a certain length or does it not matter?

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Good question, my first commenter.

Hair should be a certain length. Included with the kit is a razor head that can shave you either closely or at the optimum plucking length.

So glad you visited!

Tracy said...

This is such a good idea! The blog, I mean. Well, the de-hair thingy, too...

Can't wait to read more.

HeidiM said...

I had a Braun epilator like ten years ago, sounds like they've gotten more tolerable. They're far cheaper than laser hair removal, so they've got that going for them!

chicklet said...

I've been debating this for the bikini area cuz while I had mine lasered years ago, it's starting to come back. Is 7 months the average for bikini too?

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Chicklet -- I bet if you buzz it weekly, you'll be bikini ready all summer.

Anonymous said...

I am going out today to buy one of these!

Thanks for the review!

Unknown said...

Mmmm....how intriguing! I just might have to give it a try. I wonder if in some weird way, I will miss my razor. I've been shaving for 55 years now! Nooooo, not a chance! Thanks for the review. I'll let you know if I take the plunge.

Meghan said...

ohhh....I might have to get this. I remember trying one back in high school and it barely worked and HURT! Might have to give this a whirl

beagle said...

I am totally buying one. Before I become an ape. I cannot do salon waxes anymore. (and I'll be saving money even faster than your blade estimate!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails